Dustin and I were wanting to get away this weekend to enjoy the warm weather, so we headed to Lake Ouachita and stayed at his parents trailer there. We went for a hike on the Vista trails and took Duke along. We stopped for a picnic at a pretty little lookout spot. The weather was perfect, we got in a good workout, and Duke thoroughly enjoyed himself! He was a very good guide dog. We let him off of his leash, and he stayed right on the trail the whole time and would turn around every now and then to make sure we were still behind him. I don't know what I think he's so smart for knowing how to stay on the trail...I mean...I guess as humans we can sense where the trail is headed even though its covered with leaves and hard to see...so I guess they have that same sense, but I like to think he is extremely intelligent! :)
Did I tell you he learned to get the paper in ONE day? I pointed to the paper in front of the door, saying, "Get the paper!" and he barked and pounced around it like, "Really, mom? Can I? This isn't a trick?" and when he got it in his mouth, I praised and praised him and bought him in to get a treat. The next day...took him out...said, "Get the paper!" one time, he got it, I praised him, we checked the mail (new step in the routine here), and I brought him in to get a treat. Third day...took him out... said, "Get the paper!" one time, he got it, I praised him, he ran to the mailbox, then we came in to get a treat. Every day since then...he knows the routine! It is so funny and I look forward to praising him everyday for being such a smart boy! We are still working on letting go of the paper easily...that-he doesn't like to do.
Hope everyone had a chance to get out and enjoy some of the warm weather! Wasn't it beautiful?!
No comments:
Post a Comment