2.13.2011

Oaklawn Family Weekend

We had a good ole time with the fam this weekend for Mom's late birthday celebration. Mom, Johnny, Luke, and Tiff got into town Friday night around 7:30. We just sat around the house visiting and ordered pizza. The next morning, we ate breakfast and were off to the races! At Oaklawn, we stayed for all 10 races with some big wins, big loses and everything in between. Most of all, we just enjoyed ourselves and it was a great day!

Dustin and I went in with $100 and didn't want to spend anymore. That was for gambling on 10 races, food, and beer. It was a pretty tight budget considering the cost of food, beer, and gambling all 10 races. We left with $40! Big winnas! I was hot the first 4 races and won each bet I made, even though they were only $2 bets :), but Dustin wasn't having very much luck. After the 8th race, I was done betting, but Dustin won $47 and $38 on the last two races. If he hadn't done that, we wouldn't have walked out with any stash. Luke and Tiff faired well I think, kind of ending up like we did. Johnny won around $180 on a Trifecta for the first race, and he won about $230 on the second race, but then he made what he called a stupid bet and I think pretty much lost what he had going. He should've gone with his instincts...right after he placed that bet he said it was stupid and he was going to lose...and he did!

Is there such thing as instincts when gambling though? Or do you just think it was good instincts when you win? And how in the world do people research all of those stats and racing forms and put all of that information together to make an informed bet? My head was spinning thinking about it. Us girls each had our own silly strategy. Mom just turned 53, and since we were celebrating her birthday, she picked the #5 and #3 horse just about every race. Tiffany was going off of the horse's past winnings and did pretty good for herself. Luke thought she had the magic picks anyways after she won a few bets in a row. I always picked #7 to place and another horse that stood out to me for some reason...the name, the jockey's name...I don't know. But we all had kept each other entertained making bets and cheering on our horses each race. It was fun times!



That night we went to eat at Porterhouse Steak and Seafood. They were way understaffed and we didn't eat until after 9:00 with 7:30 reservations, but our waiter was the funniest.gay.man.ever., and we told him as long as he kept us hydrated, drink in hand, and bread on the table, we'd be alright. I had swordfish stuffed with crabmeat with a side of lobster mashed potatoes and it was delish! Dustin had a filet and loved it too. We ordered a smorgasbord of deserts to top it off and make ourselves miserable.

After dinner we headed back to our hotel, The Arlington, and chilled in the bar listening to a live band. It was a great day with great company, and I think mom wants to make this her new annual birthday celebration! We're definitely cool with that!

I hope everyone enjoys their sun-shiney week!

No comments: