10.23.2011

You can survive this hill...

Mom, Tiff, and I ran in Fort Smith's Survivor's Challenge benefiting the Donald W. Reynolds Cancer Support House on Saturday morning. Let's be honest here...I haven't been keeping up my running game. I've had good intentions, but I'm a working woman working a lot of overtime these days. I wish I forced myself to give myself more "me" time, but there just aren't enough hours in the day, am I right?

...sigh...

Add to the fact that I have been battling a horrible sinus infection for the last week, and I had pretty much admitted defeat before the race ever started. I was going to be happy if I could run 2 miles before walking. The race went up Hendrix, which is a pretty steep hill in FSM. I was not even going to attempt it...until I saw people with signs on the side of the road that said, "I've survived CANCER, you can survive this HILL!"

Well that'll light a fire in ya! I beat the hill, but my body did need a break after surviving that hill! I felt like it was my best time yet, but unfortunately it was not. But I guess if I feel stronger while I'm running, that's an accomplishment.

We've got another 5K for my brother's baseball team, the Van Buren Pointers, on November 19th. Hopefully I'll beat my best time then!

Here are some pics of race day!

Mom, Tiff, and I racing for Harry Robinson's team.
Our whole Harry Robinson team
Christie and Jeremy were there. They ran the 10K, cause they're real runners like that!
Jenny was there, too! Jenny's been a friend to the Collyge family since they were all kids, I worked with her at the Boys & Girls Club, she was around when Dustin and I met at the Boys and Girls Club, her mom helped throw our wedding shower, and now I work with her at Parkview. Kinda weird how we keep getting connected in life. She runs marathons, so of course she ran the 10K too. (Next on the list of running goals perhaps?)
Addi cheered us on at the finish line and even made us a sign! She's the best cheerleader!

Tiffany got third place in her age group! An amazing accomplishment and long deserved for her! She started running 2 years ago and got mom and I started.
She was very proud of her medal! :) I think it's the first of many to come.
family photo
Everyone had a sticker on of who they were running in memory of. It is crazy how we all know someone who's life has been affected by this horrible disease.
Three girls in my life, who I would consider my best of best friends, have had to fight cancer alongside their fathers.

Hayley's father, Dan, battled prostate cancer just this last year, and is cancer free!

Jessica's father, Rodney, just found out he has throat cancer and will begin treatment soon.

Christie's father, Mike, lost his battle with melanoma in October of 2006.


I love you three girls so much. You are each so strong. I hope you know that you are not alone, and that others are committed to walking this journey with you!
You can and will survive this hill!

1 comment:

Steeling Time said...

You're so sweet! Proud of ya good buddy!