Dustin and I headed to Fort Smith last weekend for my first 5K race, which was Saturday morning. I headed down early to catch Addi's t-ball practice. That was entertaining to say the least...
Look at her. She's a natural.
Duke came, of course. He was a hit with the kiddos. And of course several adults made comments like, "That's not a dog....that's a horse," or "You could ride that thing," or my favorite, "Does that thing come with a saddle?" I get it. He's big. Hearing these things gets a little redundant though. Hang around long enough and all the other dogs just look like midgets.
Addi loves her Dukers....and Dukers loves his Addikins.
So Saturday morning Mom, Tiff, and I headed downtown for the Miles for Mutts 5K. Dustin brought Addi down a bit later to hug on some puppies....errr.....Pit Bulls....and watch us girls run.
Here's Mom finishing strong. She says she isn't finishing strong...she's just finishing, but truth is, we all went in with the goal of simply finishing, but we all did finish strong. Tiff ran this 5K, her first, last year. Her goal was to just beat her time. She finished in 29:something and was only 4 seconds away from earning a medal in her age group! I finished in 33:54 and Mom finished in 34:55. We were all very happy with our times!
After the race...just pumped we're still standing!
No, really. I know it's not a huge accomplishment to run 3.2 miles for a lot of people, but I am NOT a runner...never have been. Running a mile used to seem impossible. Now I run 3 miles at least 3 days a week. It isn't always easy, but it feels awesome to reach this accomplishment. Thanks to Tiff for challenging me and getting me in shape!
After the race, we headed over to the lake to spend the day at Mom and Johnny's. They smoked a pork butt and invited some of the neighbor friends over for dinner. It was good times! Here is me and Dukers enjoying the beautiful day.
So I think I'm addicted to 5Ks now...not a bad addiction I guess. I'm running in another April 30th that our school district is putting on, and see several more this summer I want to sign up for, but think I'll probably opt for making the most of my weekends at the lake. I think to keep myself motivated, I'm going to have to keep signing up for more! I've gotta be held accountable or I'll start slipping.
Well...that's all I've got.
I may have some big news to announce soon, but want to wait a bit before announcing it....if it even does happen. I'm such a tease...I know....
No, I'm not preggers.
2 comments:
I know what you mean about the "big dog" comments! People always tell me that Jack is "huge" and I'm like really? He's only 62 lbs!! I really want to tell them that their small wimpy dogs look like cats. I LOVE "big dogs" and wouldn't trade it for the world! Glad you enjoyed the 5k! If you were closer we could train together. I'm always looking for someone to run with :) Miss ya!
I'll totally run with you! Let's pick a race!
Post a Comment