Soo...those of you who know me know I hate, hate public speaking. Put me in front of a crowd (or a camera for that matter) and I break out in massive hives and start sweating. I despise the feeling that everyone's eyes are on me. It just makes me extremely uncomfortable. (odd that I am not at all uncomfortable with a job where I stand in front of a classroom all day, huh? Kids don't bother me so much).
Well....we had a last minute honor roll assembly. On Sunday night, I typed out my certificates at home, no big deal. Well....I happened to put the wrong last name on one of my student's certificates....and I read the wrong name at the assembly...out loud of coarse, because I'm so nervous in front of crowds that I'm just going through the motions and reading exactly what's on the certificates. AND it's my homeroom mother's child, of course. I immediately see my class' reaction and have to fumble up an excuse for what I did, but at the moment...the longest 4 seconds of my life, I'm really just hoping that I will remember this child's real last name. (I did, miracle!) BUT....not before I mumble something to the effect of "my best friend since I was little is named Grayson Taylor" to get myself off the hook. Is that true???? Noooooo. Why did I say it? I mumble and prattle on when I'm nervous. Don't judge me! I'm not so sure it was believable, but I'm over it now. I'm okay.
I know the child's last name like the back of my hand, and I'm not just saying that to make myself feel better. I really do. I talk to his mom almost everyday, but here's the problem. The only Grayson I've known my entire life is one of my friend's husbands, Grayson Taylor. And to say we are friends sounds like we're best friends. Not exactly - she's a friend I met through a friend - so I don't talk about them so much, so when I do, I always say her husband's first and last name, because we wouldn't just say his first name because we don't ever talk about him! So naturally, when I say the name Grayson, Taylor immediately follows...it's a habit!
Well....this kid's name is not Grayson Taylor. Although I'm sure when the real Grayson Taylor was in fourth grade, he probably made honor roll. And I have a certificate for him in case his teacher never made him one.
Deep breath....it all ended up okay...He didn't seemed nearly as phased by it as I was, go figure.
My Goofy Honor Roll Kiddos
While I'm talking school business, I'll tell you about my class this weekend. I got to meet a famous children's author, Roland Smith. He's has some of the most popular young adult action/adventure books out there and I love his style. I listened to him speak Friday night and Saturday at Harding University. He is one of the funniest people I've ever heard speak. He definitely didn't put me to sleep, which is always a good thing.
Me hitting Roland up for some autographed books for my kids
2 comments:
Sadly the real Grayson Taylor rarely made honor roll...so if you could mail that certificate to me, he would be so excited!! :) That post made me laugh!
Haha!!! He didn't know I thought about him so often did he? omg...very embarassing moment. I'm here for your entertainment...I'm sure HE found it hilarious.
Post a Comment