We did it! We FINALLY got a puppy and we just went ahead and went all out! We got a Great Dane! There has been much debate between Dustin and I the past few months about what kind of dog to get. I would love to get a dog from the shelter, because that's just what you do. You don't pay money for dogs when there are plenty of sweet dogs at the shelter who need good homes. But Dustin had a good point, shelter dogs normally aren't good with cats.
In fact, the dog I sheltered a couple of summers ago was way too inquisitive with Rudy, and Rudy wasn't gonna have it! While I was at the shelter, I also requested that they try a few dogs with their test cat (this poor cat who gets put with all the dogs, but she didn't seem to mind, she wasn't scared of any of them) and all of them just pestered the cats to death, some aggressive.
We've been debating whether to get a Golden Retriever or a Great Dane for awhile. Everyone thought we were crazy for wanting a Great Dane, but Dustin really wanted one and we both wanted a big dog for sure, so what's a few more pounds and a little more height? After doing some research, they are basically gentle giants!
Meet our 3 month old Harlequin Dane, Duke! He's definitely impressed us so far! He pretty much sleeps and wants to cuddle, with about 10 minutes of play between his hour long or longers naps. Here are some pictures of his first day with us!
On our way home...he slept the whole way! Sleeping babies love the car!
We were pulling into the driveway when he woke up.
Sitting in the car...he had no intentions of getting out.
Checking out his new pad.
He stunk! We gave him a bath in our big tub, but he was freezing afterwards. He was shaking violently and just kept burying his head in the towels. I started to blow dry him at this point.
Later on he army crawled onto the couch (we don't have the whole jumping thing down, but with how big he's going to get, he won't need to jump). He pretty much stayed here the rest of the night. He has found his spot and he ain't movin!
Remember my dream that my new puppy and Rudy would some day cuddle together? Well...things are looking good! Duke could care less about Rudy. Rudy hissed and got all Halloween cat on him when he first saw him, but I think he's quickly warming up to him because Duke just acts like Rudy isn't there! Whew! We are counting our blessings on that one! Rudy jumped up to his spot all by himself after Duke was out cold.
Duke eating his first meal at home. The boy needs to learn some manners. He gobbles his food and water down without breathing right now. It kinda scares me because of the stomach problems Great Danes are known for. We are only giving him the recommended 2 cups 2 times per day for his 3 month old age right now, but he sure acts like he could eat 10 cups!
We stopped at Dustin's friend Kevin's and PETCO on the way home. He was so well behaved at both places (knock on wood). He just rode around in the cart completely chill. He didn't bark at any other dogs or whine once. Our neighbors Mandy and Robert, who used to have a Great Dane, came over to meet Duke, and he got a little rambunctious then, but I guess that's normal puppy behavior.
He did SO WELL in his crate last night. We put it in the bedroom with us, and I knew we were going to have to be really patient because I just knew he was going to whine all night. I had already done my research online and it said that no matter what, we shouldn't give in to his whines...that it would just teach him that when he whines he will get his way (like a real child, huh?). Well, he whined...but only for about 5 minutes. Then we didn't hear a peep out of him until 2:45. He whined a little more, seemed to readjust and find a new position in the crate, then settled down again until 4:45. I decided at that point that when he got quiet again, I would take him outside. I didn't want to get him out when he was crying, but I did think he needed to probably go out. He got quiet really quickly and we went straight outside to peepee! He is doing great! We'll just keep our fingers crossed that he continues to!
6 comments:
Can't wait to meet him!! He is going to be a GIANT!
hi. i randomly found your blog and saw your new puppy. i have a great dane who is 7. my dog got BLOAT that's where their stomach flips when eating. so make sure he he eats standing up with the food higher then his lungs, and doesnt play after eating and never has puppy food, cause they grow so fast they dont need puppy food and all the stuff in it. have fun with your new couch potato dog!!!!
if you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email at chef_amie@yahoo.com
Amie
oh my great dane SIMON is fine now. i caught it just in time.
Amie, - so sorry to hear about Simon, but glad to hear you caught it in time! My neighbor has had a great dane before, and she warned me about how they need elevated dog bowls. We did quite a bit of research, but are still learning as we go for sure! It's so hard to keep him from playing after he eats - he is a couch potato - but he wants to play after he eats! The potty training was going great, until I left him alone one day with my husband and he pooped twice and peed once within an hour in the house! Ugh! I guess it will just take time, but did you have potty training problems?
Hi there
Looking forward to your next post
Post a Comment