My school sent me to San Antonio for 5 days last week to attend the National Title I Conference. It was a fully paid, spending money included, plane ride trip. I know, I'm spoiled! The conference focused on the new legislation and Title I funding of No Child Left Behind. Basically, all of the breakout sessions focused on how this legislation, for lack of a better word, sucks. There were even sessions titled "No Test Left Untaken" and "Every Child Left Behind". Hmmm...I wonder how they really feel?
Getting a bunch of teachers together who teach children from poverty is pretty motivating, however. It was inspiring to listen to teachers who are so passionate about their jobs and go into work day in and day out determined as all get-out to change a life. I definitely came back with a little skip in my step. I even gotten to listen to the real-life person behind Michelle Pfeiffer's character in Dangerous Minds. She was so impressive! She really is an ex-marine, and man is she tough. Remember the girl from the movie who got pregnant and was basically told to leave the high school? Well, she called "Michelle Pfeiffer" two weeks ago, and to tell her, "Sorry it took so long, but I finally got my MBA and wanted to let you know." She went to college after her abusive boyfriend/baby's daddy got shot in a drug deal and she uprooted her family to move to Atlanta with an old friend for safety and a new start. Now that's resilience at it's best.
Here are some pictures from the trip. I enjoyed every minute of touring the Riverwalk and getting to know some people in the district better, but...there's no place like home. : ) I hope you all had a great weekend too! HAPPY MONDAY!
Lindsey and I on the Riverwalk
Teacher Buddies at a local Steakhouse
Riverwalk
No comments:
Post a Comment